Dolls House Community
Dolls House Community
Dolls House Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dolls House Community

this forum is designed for people with an interest in dolls houses and all things miniature

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bread Finishing

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Bread Finishing Empty
PostSubject: Bread Finishing   Bread Finishing EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 8:30 am

Here's a tutorial on how I finish my breads, pies and pasties. There are lots of ways of colouring your baked loaves but I like the effect of soft pastels.
You'll need 3 colours in soft pastels - dark yellow (ochre), reddish brown (burnt sienna) and a dark brown (burnt umber). A dry paintbrush although you could manage with your fingertip. Fixative or hairspray.
If you want to add a floured effect you'll need white pastel as well plus matt varnish.
Wet wipes are useful to have around as your fingers get quite coloured!!

Scrape a little of the 3 colours onto a piece of paper - you will not need much as a little goes a long way. I've kept an unfinished loaf in all the photos for comparison.

Bread Finishing Bread_12

Starting with the lightest colour, dust your loaf. If you are doing a split loaf try to keep the colour away from the inside as only the crust is browned. Gradually build up the colour, use the darkest at the top and quite sparingly (unless you want a burnt loaf ofcourse lol)

Bread Finishing Bread_13
Bread Finishing Bread_14
Bread Finishing Bread_15

When happy with the colour of your loaf, finally spray with fixative or hairspray to seal. If you want to add the 'flour' before you spray do the following:-
Paint small dabs of matt varnish on your loaf where you want the 'flour' to go
Bread Finishing Bread_16

Scrape some of the white pastel onto the paper and using your fingertip, pat (don't rub) the white pastel powder onto the varnished areas. Allow to dry and then finish as before with the hairspray/fixative
Bread Finishing Bread_17

I have listed several moulds for loaves, pies and pasties on Ebay and my website along with a bread finishing kit
Back to top Go down

Bread Finishing
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Dolls House Community :: TUTORIALS-
Jump to: