Dolls House Community
Dolls House Community

this forum is designed for people with an interest in dolls houses and all things miniature

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

acryllic lace

Go down 
AuthorMessage
dolly donut

PostSubject: acryllic lace   Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:41 am

to make you need the following items

1. retention liquid (the brand is irrelevant, i am waiting on a delivery of cheaper stuff for this, i just photo'd my preferred brand for nails Wink)
available here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280311362402&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
2. acryllic powder. i would buy a selection of colours like these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280329534048&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT do not confuse these with decorating powders, they must be called ''builder'' powders
3. 3d Acryllic moulds available here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250648571220&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
4. a dappen dish, or you can just use a clean lid cap from a bottle
5. an old paintbrush. chances are you are going to get acryllic stuck to it and it will ruin.

you can buy the same stuff in many other places, i just found these cheap enough for what i want and good enough quality for this work with a variety of colours too

have kitchen towel underneath whils you work to soak up any spills, and a piece to wipe your brush on inbetween applications.

now this acryllic smells, pretty bad, so do in a well ventilated area. in the shops they have extractors to take the fumes away

you need to dip your paintbrush into the liquid, then wipe it on the edge of your lid/dish to remove drips, dip just the very tip into the powder and watch, the powder should absorb the liquid. move this over to the mould and press it into it. i prefer to keep the mixture a bit runny.

once you have filled the mould, i usually repeat the above 4 times or so per mould, it sets very quickly. once set peel from mould with your fingers. after you have done it a few times you will notice its quite simple to get the hang of, trust me, applying to nails is a lot harder so dont be put off if you wanted to try. often it will need a bit of a trim with scissors to remove any straggly bits. i find i dont tend to get this much on the other moulds but its almost impossbile to avoid with the lace. i guess practise will make perfect in the end Smile its now ready to use or paint a colour of your choice.

i used this same method to make the teddies, butterflies, lollipops, biscuits and a few other bits like the doilies below, i took an impression of a ceiling rose with the silicone and then used it in the same was as above

Back to top Go down
louisas nan

PostSubject: Re: acryllic lace   Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:29 am

Wow, thanks for this Sal, will get the equipment and have a go when back off holiday.
Back to top Go down
dolly donut

PostSubject: Re: acryllic lace   Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:57 am

no probs, any questions, don't hesitate to ask, i am no expert but i will do my best Very Happy

have a great holiday Smile
Back to top Go down
louisas nan

PostSubject: Re: acryllic lace   Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:11 am

Thanks Sal, will do, never worked with acrylics before, but love to try new things.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: acryllic lace   Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:42 pm

Thank you for the quick lesson! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

But one question... Acrylic nail-stuff, I have at home, but eh... doesn't the acrylic lace get very hard (is "brittle" the word?)... How do you bend it? or does it stay a bit flexible?
Back to top Go down
dolly donut

PostSubject: Re: acryllic lace   Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:56 pm

hi little sun, but because its so thin it remains very flexible, infact you can bend it back on itself and it doesn't break
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: acryllic lace   Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:04 pm

Wauw! Let's go for some molds... Smile

Saw the shop has an offer of 84 molds.... hahahahahahaha

Or is that overdoing? Razz Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
dolly donut

PostSubject: Re: acryllic lace   Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:06 pm

rofl i have bought quite a few now, started with 6 just to make sure it worked out, then since have ordered another 9, waiting delivery, next budget spend will go on whatever are left. although i didnt see 84, hmm i shall go have another look hehe

dont forget you can make moulds with the silicone too, like i did for the doilies Very Happy
Back to top Go down
crazydaisy

PostSubject: Re: acryllic lace   Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:46 pm

Great tutorial Sal - will take a look at the suppliers later.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: acryllic lace   

Back to top Go down

acryllic lace
Page 1 of 1